Recent Fire Damage Posts
Fall Furnace Inspection: 3 Vital Parts To Check
Schedule a furnace inspection
Fall Furnace Inspection
As fall arrives in Wynwood, FL , cooler temperatures and chilly evenings usually arrive with it. As summer fades, your thoughts might turn to household chores such as raking leaves, winterizing your pool and, of course, furnace maintenance. Having a professional fire cleaning service inspect your furnace can give you peace of mind that the unit is running properly. Three vital parts should be checked thoroughly before the furnace is run daily:
A clogged furnace filter can lead to nasty odors while the unit is running, poor circulation and an increased risk of a house fire. Ask your cleaning technicians whether you should start the heating season with fresh filters even if the previous ones were not in place for a long period of time. Inquire about which kind of filter would best suit your family’s needs and which can provide you with the most efficient filtration.
A furnace blower assembly can become clogged with dirt and debris. If left unmaintained, your furnace might overheat or break down once you start using it every evening. Ask your smoke cleaning and furnace technicians about the condition of the blower and whether it needs any new parts. The cleaner the assembly, the more efficiently the unit may function.
Your furnace’s motor is the heart of the entire heating system. If it is not working properly due to age or improper maintenance, you may find yourself having to replace it. A fire cleaning and restoration company can test the furnace motor, inspect its parts and gauge whether it will have to be replaced by the end of the season. If your furnace seems noisier than usual or you notice uneven heating in your home, a failing motor may be to blame.
When fall arrives in Wynwood, FL, it is a good idea to schedule a furnace inspection with a qualified fire cleaning and remediation service. New filters, a clean blower assembly and a robust motor can keep your unit functioning without worry all winter long.
Fire damage is the last thing you’d expect to happen to your home. Most electrical fires start out in the bedroom. Now, before you can plan the clean up and restoration, you must first determine the extent of the loss. To be able to understand how the fire occurred the source of the fire must be found. One of the most commonly overlooked causes is Faulty Outlets.
Overcrowded electrical outlets can harm the electrical circuit and lead the way for an electrical fire. You’ll see this with outlets that have a power strip, or many cords plugged into it. These should be inspected frequently and unplug anything not being used at the time. Other warnings include: circuit breaker keeps tripping, constant burnt smell, flickering lights, any burnt outlets, or maybe you just have old wiring.
Some of the best ways to avoid an electrical fire is by:
Checking electrical cords and plugs.
Keeping electrical wiring up to date.
Keeping electrical cords away from heat sources and water.
Not running electrical cords under carpet.
How to Spot Water Damage
A house will be one of the biggest investments you will make in your lifetime. That’s why it is crucial to check the home for any kind of water damage before you move in. If left unattended, the water damage could spawn worse problems such as structural damage or maybe even mold. Here are some ways that to tell if your new home has water damage or not:
- Check Outside
Common signs of water damage are on the roof in pools of water, cracked or missing shingles.
- Look for Rust or Mold
Check your water heater and look for rust/damp spots anywhere on the floor. Mold is in any nook and crannies in your home. Use both sight and smell to find signs of mold.
- Check for Stains
Look for any unusual stains that could indicate that there is a leaky pipe or drain inside the wall. Cracks in the wall or soft and swollen areas are signs of trouble.
- Look at the Floors
Fir wood and tile floors look for cracked or warped flooring. With carpet look for damp spots, gradual rises, soft spots or the smell of mold and dampness.
Fire Damage Specialists
No one ever expects anything bad to happen inside of their home. House fires are something that most people think will never happen. However, accidents do happen, and one day it is possible that you could have a fire inside your home. Many people find themselves in a situation where a minor fire starts in their home. If this ever happens to you, it's a good idea to call SERVPRO's fire damage experts. Some people have small fires start inside their home, and they can quickly put it out. However, even though you may not see any amount of burn damage where the fire first started, it is still wise to call in SERVPRO to inspect the damage. Many times, a fire causes damage that is not in the exact area of the source of the fire. When a fire burns, it creates smoke that spreads to all areas of your home. A fire sometimes embeds an unpleasant burn smell into contents inside your home. Any of issues, if not treated correctly, might result in permanent damage to your home. When you call in the professionals, it is now up to them to figure out every area fire or smoke damage may have affected. Our staff is highly skilled at diagnosing every unique situation. Our experienced team knows how to find things that get ruined in the most unexpected places and use the best equipment available in the industry to remove any damage caused by a fire. It is always a devastating experience when a fire starts inside your home. Let our team take some stress out of the situation for you and call SERVPRO of Wynwood at (305) 377-2325 24/7.
Before the Professionals Arrive
While it's best to have a qualified fire restoration company like SERVPRO of Wynwood handle the smoke damage restoration, there are some small tasks you can do to help minimize the initial damage before the professionals come in to do the major cleanup. Remember that safety comes first, so if there’s no way to safely gain access into your home, then stay out until the SERVPRO arrives. If it is possible to enter your house, make sure you’re wearing gloves, long sleeves/pants, and proper respiratory protection, because exposure to soot can cause respiratory problems and other medical issues.
Ventilation - Open all the windows and air out the house as much (and as often) as possible. SERVPRO will use industrial-strength fans and other air-moving equipment to help reduce the smoke damage your home has been subjected to, but in the meantime, proper ventilation is key to helping remove the polluted air.
Cleaning - Scrub all surfaces inside and out with soap and water.
Laundry - Delicate fabrics will need to be professionally dry cleaned by someone who is familiar with articles that have smoke damage. Only use washers and dryers that haven’t been exposed to smoke or experienced significant fire damage
Even small fires can cause odors that last for years to come if the affected areas are not properly cleaned and deodorized. Fire, smoke, and soot damage in your home or business can create an unpleasant and potentially permanent problems. As materials burn, the smoke produced travels throughout the structure, leaving odorous residues and deposits on surfaces and in hard-to-reach places. If professional action is not taken, these residues and deposits can cause serious damage to contents and may result in resurfacing odors. With technicians certified by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration (IICRC), SERVPRO of Wynwood provides specialized services that can rid your home or business of offensive odors left by fire or smoke damage. SERVPRO of Wynwood does not cover up lingering odors with a fragrance; we seek out and remove the sources of the odor. If you suffer fire damage or some other accident and require deodorization services, contact your local SERVPRO of Wynwood. Whether it’s fire, water, mold damage, or just a stubborn odor that refuses to go away, we’ll help make it “Like it never even happened.”
With the Holidays just having finished and July 4th coming up. We thought now would be the best time to drop some knowledge. Fireworks can bring several dangers if mishandled incorrectly. Some of those dangers include severe injuries or death and fires. The possibility of starting a fire is especially high when in a drought year.
There are several ways to prevent injury and fires when using fireworks.
- Follow any and all local laws, rules, or regulations regarding fireworks.
- Keep a hose and a metal bucket full of water near the site where you are shooting off fireworks.
- When the fireworks are done going off, dispose of them in the metal bucket of water and leave them over night.
- Keep the metal bucket of water away from any structures or vehicles in an area where it won’t be blown over by the wind.
- Fireworks should only be shot off under direct adult supervision. Children should never be given fireworks.
- Do not light fireworks while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Light one firework off at a time and quickly get out of the way before it goes off.
- Never light fireworks indoors or in a garage or near buildings or vehicles.
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
People are not the only ones that fireworks affect. Pets have very sensitive hearing so keep them indoors during any and all fireworks shows. This will keep them from getting hurt in their confusion and fear.