Water Loss Types
Water may seem very unlikely to cause damage. Do not be quick to dismiss it just yet. Water in the presence strong winds can be very destructive. It is for this reason that hurricanes and strong rains have claimed lives and destroyed millions worth of property. Water damage can also be as minimalist as broken water pipes that cause molding and rusting. These broken pipes are ranked second from hurricanes in causing water damage.
There are three types of water damage:
- Category 1 - This is does not cause any threat to human life. It is from is from broken house appliances and pipes which can flood a house or basement.
- Category 2 - This is also known "gray water". The water is contaminated and contains chemicals, micro-organisms, nutrients and biological contaminants. This water can cause serious health damage and discomfort when consumed.
- Category 3 - This is also known as "black water". This water is very unsanitary and contains harmful bacteria, fungi and harmful physical components like sharp tools. The source of this water is sewage, seawater, water rising from water bodies due to heavy rains and ground water.
Classes of water damage:
The several classes of water damage help in evaluating water control options.
- Class 1- Water damage is minimal, and the materials do not absorb a lot of water making repairs easy and less costly.
- Class 2- This class has a fast evaporation rate but other materials like cushions and mattresses may be damaged.
- Class 3- water has the fastest rate of evaporation here and the damage caused is greater and difficult to repair. The water may come from overhead sources and may soak the walls and furniture.
- Class 4- This stage requires professional technique and procedures to control. It may damage concrete and hard floors and plaster.