Recent Water Damage Posts
Spotting Water Damage
A house will be one of the biggest investments you will make in your lifetime. That’s why it is crucial to check the home for any kind of water damage before you move in. If left unattended, the water damage could spawn worse problems such as structural damage or maybe even mold. Here are some ways that to tell if your new home has water damage or not:
- Check Outside
Common signs of water damage are on the roof in pools of water, cracked or missing shingles.
- Look for Rust or Mold
Check your water heater and look for rust/damp spots anywhere on the floor. Mold is in any nook and crannies in your home. Use both sight and smell to find signs of mold.
- Check for Stains
Look for any unusual stains that could indicate that there is a leaky pipe or drain inside the wall. Cracks in the wall or soft and swollen areas are signs of trouble.
- Look at the Floors
For wood and tile floors look for cracked or warped flooring. With carpet look for damp spots, gradual rises, soft spots or the smell of mold and dampness.
Preventing Carpet Mold
If you’ve recently had a flood or a leak, no matter the size, it is a cause for concern for mold in the carpet. For mold, it doesn’t take much water for it to become harmful and spread, all it needs is a bit of moisture for it to grow. Mold can cause serious health issues such as respiratory problems, allergies, etc. Here are a few tips to prevent carpet mold after a flood or leak.
Act fast by drying it up as quickly as possible. Use fans to speed up the process as this will not only help the carpet dry, but also circulate the air in the room. Be aware that it can take a few days for the fans to dry the water damaged area, be sure to keep them running for 24 hours until the carpet is dry.
Invest in a Dehumidifier
Dehumidifiers are machines that will remove excess moisture in the room. They help make the air feel cooler and helps limit the growth of mold. The machine will help dry out the air and ground helping to speed up the dry time for your carpeted floors
Hire a Water Damage Cleanup Service
Companies that specialize in water damage cleanup can help get rid of the water fast. They have the tools and equipment needed to remove the water and help ensure mold and mildew don’t begin to spread. These services can help your carpets smell fresh again without any trace of the musky water damage odor.
Water Damage Prevention
Here at SERVPRO of Wynwood we are Water Damage specialists, and we compiled a small list on how to prevent water damage from happening often in your home:
- Clean Gutters and Downspouts - Clean your gutters at least twice a year to avoid blockage. Standing water can cause damage to your gutters and roof. Don’t forget to clean downspouts to ensure water can flow through, and secure downspouts so that they point away from the home.
- Know your Water Main - Know the location of your water main and shut it off if you leave for an extended amount of time.
- Check Appliances Regularly - Check and maintain your appliances regularly for leaks according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Investigate Leaks Right Away and Fix Promptly - If you choose to ignore any water damage, or postpone making the necessary repairs, be prepared to experience mold, mildew, dry rot, or even structural damage to your home.
- Upgrade Washing Machine Hoses - Old, brittle or leaky washing machine hoses are among the most frequent causes of water loss for homeowners. Replace yours often throughout the year to avoid an expensive damage.
- Check Your Water Pressure - If the water pressure to your home is too high, then your pipes and hoses may fail under the high pressure. Buy a water pressure gauge at a local hardware store, attach it to an outside faucet, and turn the faucet to full force. The gauge will give you a reading of the home’s water pressure. Typical homes water systems are designed for pressure of 40 – 70 psi. Anything above 70 psi will put your plumbing at risk.
- Monitor Your Water Bill - Sometimes, the only way you know that water is leaking is taking a closer look at your water bill. If your usage jumps significantly from one month to the next, then there is probably a leak somewhere in the home.
When a Mop Isn't Enough
SERVPRO of Wynwood is trained to safely clean and restore your customer's home, utilizing the following procedures:
- Identify the Source/Type of Water
- Measure Temperature and Humidity for Drying Analysis
- Survey the Extent of Damage and Inspect the Premises
- Perform Emergency Water Extraction
- Move and Block Furniture
- Provide Floor Service
- Inspect Carpet Pad/Carpet and Provide Service
- Apply Necessary Treatments
- Utilize Drying Equipment and Monitor Drying
- Dispose of Refuse
About SERVPRO of Wynwood
SERVPRO of Wynwood specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
For help restoring your home or business after a water loss, call SERVPRO of Wynwood at (305) 377-2325. We’ll make it “Like it never even happened.”
Service Response for a Water Damage
When there is a water intrusion, like a roof leak or leaking water line. We are water damage specialists who get started promptly to get your property dry and back. Our staff is highly trained in property water damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property after a water damage. With a nationwide system of qualified franchises, no water damage is too large or too small for SERVPRO of Wynwood. We are proud to serve our local surrounding communities upon request. If you would like to schedule service for your home or business, we are here to serve you 24/7, please call today 305-377-2325